19th December, 1947 Ealing Priory secured its independence
Having lost the Compton organ a small
Walker organ was purchased and placed to the left of the temporary
sanctuary. Repairs began on the church in 1953 with the west
Window being restored in 1954.
The Priory was raised to the status of
an Abbey, by the Pope on 26th May, 1955, with Prior Charles
Pontifex becoming the first Abbot of Ealing. A serious car
crash resulting in multiple injuries the following August led
to the election of Father Rupert Hall as the second Abbot on
25th February, 1956.
restoration work on the church was not started until September
1957 and was completed in 1962. It was opened officially with
a Pontifical High Mass on 11th July, 1962, attended by Cardinal
Godfrey with the sermon being preached by Abbot Bryne of Ampleforth,
Abbot President of the Benedictine Congregation. Thus the first
monastic church in London since the reformation was finally
In 1967 Abbot Francis Rossiter became
the 3rd Abbot of Ealing and presided at the school’s
75th jubilee Pontifical Mass with Cardinal Hume. In 1991 Abbot
Laurence Soper became the 4th Abbot and during his period as
Abbot put in place the final development of the Church with
the extension to the new choir stalls and the new Lady Chapel.
He was followed by Abbot Martin Shipperlee as 5th Abbot in
On 1st September 2012 'Saint Benedict's School Ealing' was established as a seperate Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee. Monks continue to serve on the staff of the school and the Abbot and two of the Monastic Community are members of the Governing Body.
updated 7th September 2012