Royal College of Arms made the following Grant of Arms to Ealing
Abbey in 1956: "Sable
a cross potent gules fimbriated or; on a chief of the last between
two ravens also sable, a pierced cinquefoil also gules, each foil
charged with an ermine spot gold". The arms were designed
by the late Dom Aelred Barnes, who also used heraldic symbols to
trace Ealing's history and tradition.
The black field of the lower part of the shield is taken from
St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, the first Benedictine house to
be founded on English soil.
The survival of the English Benedictine Congregation after the
Reformation is recorded by the cinquefoil from the arms of Abbot
de Cavarel, whose hospitality enabled the community of St Gregory's
to be built up at Douai in France. The ermine spots on the cinquefoil
refer to the five members of St Gregory's who were martyred at
Tyburn (Blessed George Gervase, St John Roberts, Blessed Maurus
Scott, Blessed Philip Powell, Blessed Thomas Pickering)
Ealing's derivation from Downside is shown by the red cross, bordered
with gold, which reproduces the colours in Downside's arms, although
not the design of their cross.
Finally, the ravens are included as fitting symbols of St Benedict